Streamlining onboarding compliance: Introducing the revised Form I-9
August 24, 2023
In an ever-evolving landscape of regulations and requirements, staying compliant is not only a priority but also a necessity for businesses. As part of our commitment to keeping you informed and equipped, Abdo’s HR & Payroll Solutions team brings you a significant update in the realm of employee onboarding – the revised Form I-9.
Understanding the Changes
On August 1, 2023, The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the publication of the revised Form I-9 that brings about several changes aimed at enhancing user-friendliness and compliance efficiency.
Key Changes Include:
- Consolidated Sections: The revised form merges Sections 1 and 2 into a single-sided sheet, simplifying the onboarding process for both employers and employees.
- Digital Accessibility: Designed to accommodate tablets and mobile devices, the form is now fillable electronically, ensuring a seamless and modern experience.
- Enhanced Clarity: The Section 1 Preparer/Translator Certification area has been relocated to a separate supplement, which employers can provide as needed.
- Streamlined Reverification: Section 3, dealing with reverification and rehiring, is now a standalone supplement, making it more straightforward to manage when necessary.
- Expanded Acceptable Documents: The Lists of Acceptable Documents page has been updated to include acceptable receipts, along with guidance and links for automatic extensions of employment authorization documentation.
- Simplified Instructions: The form’s instructions have been condensed from 15 pages to 8, making the completion process more concise and accessible.
- Remote Examination Option: A new checkbox allows employers to indicate if Form I-9 documentation was examined remotely under a DHS-authorized alternative procedure, without a physical examination.
Employers can continue using the current Form I-9 (edition date 10/21/19) until October 31, 2023. Starting November 1, 2023, all employers must implement the use of the new Form I-9 (edition date 08/01/23).
At Abdo, we understand the challenges of compliance and the importance of streamlined processes. Our Workforce Solutions team is dedicated to assisting you in navigating these changes and ensuring that your onboarding processes remain compliant, efficient, and effective.
For more details and to explore how Abdo can support your onboarding compliance and process development, contact us today.